Monday 13 June 2011

Therapeutic Value of Digging

I've just been reading Lily's latest post over at http://kindlingplayandtraining.blogspot.com/ about the compulsion to make weapons and throw stones. It left me thinking about other compulsions that occur within sessions and for me recently there has been a lot of digging.

Either digging alone...
Or with a friend...




Sometimes holes get left. Just sitting waiting for something to fill it, whilst at others they are actively filled with bulbs and seeds planted for future growth...




By digging am I searching for something?
Looking for treasure?
Or my Self?

2 comments:

Lily Horseman said...

That's really interesting as all your pictures show boys digging. I am working with 4 groups at the moment; 1 all girls, 1 mixed group and two groups of all boys age 4-5 and age 9-10. Both of the groups of boys have requested more digging tools for the next session. Coincidence??

wondersofnature said...

Not sure Lily-because of my line of work I have a greater percentage of boys in my sessions-although I did have one young lady who would spend nearly every session digging. She had a very complicated life history-wasn't really sure who she was or where she came from-and I don't think the fact that she would desperately hunt for treasure was a coincidence!