Monday 3 January 2011

Happy New Year!!

A mild start to the new year has finally meant a return for our small birds in the garden, after weeks of silence and nothing entering our frost pocket back garden this morning we had several blackbirds, a wren, a robin, a chaffinch and great, blue and coal tits. It made me realise just how much I'd missed them whilst eating my morning toast.

It helps I think that I haven't tided at all outside so there is leaf litter everywhere which the blackbirds and robins are scattering to the four corners of the garden. They've also repeatedly pulled up my garlic and onions which were struggling anyway having been planted out just before the first snowfall. My patience will be tested I think whilst I wait to see whether any have rooted or not despite all their tribulations!!

We went for an extended family walk today at our local quarry and the small birds there were very busy catching up on their feeding. Within a few minutes we had seen a nuthatch on the peanut feeder adjacent to the car park but my two were most pleased by the woodpecker we heard before we'd even got out of the car-couldn't see it but the drumming was impressive. Spring is definitely in the air for the birds, even if its going to be a while longer before it feels like it for us.....

No comments: